Essay writing is common in colleges and universities. No student can graduate without having to write several academic essays. Some find it challenging for some reasons; for example, some may not understand how to pick the best topic. There are several types of essays. You can never know which one the professor will give you. This implies that you must have adequate knowledge of all the forms of essays. For example, there are expository, narrative, descriptive, and argumentative essays. The writing approach can be similar but with slight differences. In this article, we focus on how to pick the best argumentative essay. Read on to understand more.
Before we move on to the tips, let us explain some forms of essays first:
- Argumentative essays– If you get a topic on this type of essay, you are supposed to research and analyze the evidence then present the details to the reader in a precise manner. You argue your stand and give reasons with supporting evidence.
- Persuasive essays– These types of essays require you to pick sides and explain why you support the given statement.
- Expository essays: Here, you don’t support one side of the story. Instead, you research and dig facts about the topic and present the evidence., exposing the evidence.
Note: With argumentative essays, you can also pick sides, but in your discussions, you must show both sides of the concept. It is the reader who will decide the winning side.
There are three forms of argumentative essays which students can choose from. Before we discuss them, it is essential to note that argumentative essays have a clear structure like other essays; i.e., the intro, the body, and the conclusion.
On to the forms of argumentative essays, they include:
- Rogerian – You discuss both sides of the arguments by including the weaknesses and strengths of each side. You are neutral on both sides, and you must have all the pieces of evidence.
- Classical – This one is direct like other essays whereby you give your intro, thesis, arguments in the main body than a conclusion.
- Toulmin – Here, you have two sides. You will have to write the primary claim but give your arguments on both sides. However, in the end, you must prove how right your side is with counterarguments.
Why select an Essay Question?
There are reasons why professors will give you an option to pick the question. They have the following reasons:
- They want you to be free to write about what you love
- They want to evaluate your critical thinking skills.
- They want to evaluate your understanding of argumentative essays.
- It proves that you can handle the entire paper on your own.
Writing an Argumentative Essay
You must include the following in your paper to write the best argumentative essay:
- Picking the argumentative topic
- Writing a thesis
- Conducting research.
- Writing a rough draft
- Discuss both sides of the argument as reflect the thesis
- Have strong evidence
- Create a compelling conclusion
- Proofreading and editing
Note: A good argumentative essay topic must be debatable to help you generate more arguments.
Best Argumentative Essay Topics
According to experts, if you want your argumentative essay to stand out, it must have a controversial topic.
The topic you choose should give you adequate materials to provide your arguments and supporting evidence. Do not go for a subject in which you will get one or two points, and you are done. Where will you get the other content? There are many materials you can research from. Examples include legislative acts, journals, books, verified online platforms, and academic sites.
When you research online platforms, you will come across thousands of best argumentative essay topics. You can get ones that interest you and give them a try. When choosing an excellent argumentative essay topic, consider the following:
- Research material
- Select a topic on which you can give your viewpoint.
- Do not go for complex topics
- Figure out your targeted audience
- Have concrete evidence and enough facts to support your arguments.
- Keep off emotional topics
- Think of your cultural background and avoid topics that are taboo according to your practices.